Sorcery and Malkionism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 15:30:52 PDT

Julian Lord

Me> >[Malkioni] would most readily apply [Zzaburi] to the
> >Brithini or the God Forgotten as those societies are >dominated by
>Sorcerers.

>The westerners believe that most societies (including pagan ones)
>are dominated by 'sorcerers' (in foreign lands : by quite primitive
>and/or delusional ones) IMO, including their own societies.

Incorrect. Priests, Shamans and Mystics are identified as being an inferior type of magician, not as users of sorcery. Mainstream Malkioni are not dominated by sorcerers but by Wizards.

> > The learned would be aware that the God Learners classified
> > their magics as sorcerous but that is probably held to be
> > a God Learner Error.

>IMO, the learned are aware that they themselves use 'sorcery'.

No. Sorcery is only one of the magics avaliable to the Malkioni. Most Malkioni use the veneration of Saints and get blessings - a practice condemned by the Brithini as an error. There may or may not be a third type: logic.

>They believe, in fact, that *all* magic is (or partakes of,
>or comes from) 'sorcery'.

All magic comes from God (although the Carmanians would qualify it as all _Good_ magic comes from God).

>However, a Brithini's answer to the question 'Do you believe that God
>ultimately has human attributes?' would actually be 'God does not exist'

The Brithini do believe that God exists. I commend to you the Brithini creation myth in ToTRM#13.