Malkioni and Medieval Analogues

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:47:27 +1200

David Cake:

> >The point is that for several centuries, the only
> >'written form' of Italian, French, etc, _was_ Latin.

>Which means that Italian, French, etc did not have a written
>form. [...] Their Gloranthan analogues, however, do, and its
>shared.

However all the only source on the matter actually states is "All [Malkioni-worshippers] share the same written language, termed Western, although the spoken languages differ." Hardly a strong statement that the spoken Malkioni languages have a written form.

FWIW the Scottish Highlands and the Eastern Coast of Ireland manage to have an incomprehensible spoken form of English (to me at least) yet I can communicate to them with a non-ideogrammic script.

> >Similarly, let's make lots of other jarringly
> >inappropriate inclusions into other cultures. Doraddi saunas and
> >Kralori jousting, anyone?

> Ooh, like a medieval society based on social mobility,

Napoleon's France. Strong medieval forms (Princes, Dukes, Emperors) yet many of the bigwigs (Massena, son of a trader, later Duke of Rivoli and Prince of Essling; Soult, a notary's son and later Marshal-General of France; Bernadotte, a lawyer's son and later King of Sweden; Murat, his father was an innkeeper but he became King of Naples) were born in humble circumstances.

>or a rigid immortal society of atheists with a caste
>system including a noncombatant ruling class?

Like Plato's Republic, where the Guardians are separate from the Auxiliaries (soldiers) and Workers. He also writes elsewhere that religion was invented by politicians to control people. Considering this is an archaic society, I don't find it out of place at all...