Re: Orlanthi Justice; printing

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:02:32 -0700

Alex Ferguson responds to me:

> > To further muddle things, there are also households. When we played,
> > households were granted certain fields and grazing rights. (A
> > household is not necessarily the same as a bloodline.) And I have
> > vague recollection of legal cases where one household accused another
> > of trampling on its rights.
>
> A household being? The only concrete case I can think of which
> describes such a thing is the Hall/Brooke/et al campaign, which
> IIRC has them as (a sort of) bloodline. While I certainly think
> bloodline organisation/terminology/definition (etc, etc) varies
> significantly, it's not clear to me that one would have a distinct
> role for a clan, a bloodline, a household _and_ a stead, at
> different 'vertical levels'.
>
> Or are you using household identically with (the people of a) stead?

Yes, since that is an economic unit. It probably has the head of a bloodline, and also unrelated dependents. But a prosperous son may go off and create his own stead, without taking over as head of his father's bloodline.

(And "stead" here may be more than one building, though grouped in a complex.)

So if a legal decision is made against a bloodline, other members of that bloodline's stead aren't legally liable. (In practice, they may be economically squeezed, since the head of the bloodline will use the stead's resources to pay the judgement.)

> > >Jeez, you mean it was proof read?
> >
> > That's not what I said -- it was *proofed*.
>
> And there's a distinction? 'Proofing' is something one does to a
> printer's proof, short of actually reading the darn thing? (Perhaps
> 'proof-glancing' would be a superior coinage, if one wants to make so
> much of the apparent difference.)

Perhaps my terminology was poor, but when I printed King of Dragon Pass, we didn't proofread the words in the film. We were looking for artifacts like hairs or bad halftones, and to make sure all the pages were in the right order. The color cover involved even more scrutiny (the designer used a magnifying lens).

I'm going into all this just to explain that this is a very different process from what we did with Enclosure, when we dropped off our digital files and said "make X copies." Hero Wars was not fully digital. My assumption is this results in cheaper per-unit costs, but with higher fixed costs (e.g. the cost of shooting film) and longer lead times.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein