It's All Sorcery?

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:04:53 +0100

Julian writes:

> Well, on p. 53 it says that the Malkioni 'recognize the existence of
> spirits and divinities', but that 'these entities are apparitions
> caused by a defective understanding of the Cosmos' and that 'use of
> proper wisdom reveals that the Invisible God is the True Source' etc...

I commend my article, "Errors of the Pagans," to the hon. gentleman. It covers the same ground in more depth, and gives a sorcerous / wizardly "take" on how Westerners view the lesser cultures and entities of Glorantha.

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Nick_Brooke/Malkioni/pagans.htm

One of my intention in writing that article was to suggest that even today there is still scholarly and pious debate about the "real" explanation for Pagan magics. There are lots of theories, but no general agreement on what's happening. "Maybe the God Learners knew, but we don't."

I also tried to pigeonhole the "False Gods" theory from GoG ("all pagan gods are the ghosts of ancient sorcerers") as one such theory, rather than having it as generally-accepted mainstream western belief. This is because that's where I want to go with it. If you take a more literal approach to GoG, you could certainly believe that Westerners think all pagan deities are "False Gods". But that's less fun IMO than the alternatives.

> The 17th century Malkioni specifically believe that the GLs were wrong ...

About *something*. Absolutely NOT about *everything*. (Unless you're playing a word-game with an overly-specific and not generally accepted or understood "meaning" for the name "God Learners").

> This is too excruciating an argument to be worth bothering about IMO ...

I tend to agree. However, *I* think it is the kind of argument the Westerners still have, between Malkioni and Brithini, Hrestoli and Rokari, sects and schismatics, heretics and hierophants. I don't think there is a single settled Western/Malkioni/Brithini "belief", set in stone since the Year Dot and no longer current in theological-philosophical-speculative circles.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick