Malkioni 'sorcerors' ?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:13:16 +0200

Peter Metcalfe :

> Thus wizards are practitioners of sorcerous magic is not a
> proposition that automatically follows: some Malkion
> would agree, others won't (and a cut section had the
> God Learners implying that they weren't).

Eminently sensible !!

> *groan*. I hadn't realized how perfidious Albion could be...

One does one's best ... ;-)

> Theurgist might be a better translation of Wizard then.

'Théurgiste' :-[ yuck !!

(Hmmm ... isn't this one of those notorious Greggly 'shifter' words ?)

But it's probably the best 'literal' translation, no matter how clunky it sounds, given the absence of the w-word in French ...

> Actually it's a generic Malkioni perspective. I've refrained
> from stating exactly _whose_ understanding is at fault (is it
> the worshipper or the spirit that he worships?) in an effort
> to fashion a proposition that most Malkioni would agree with.

Or disagree upon ... Fine !

> >Well on p. 50 of Glorantha it says that 'a large number of people are
> >atheists, not believing in a god or God, but in impersonal forces that can
> >be exploited by sorcerors. These are mostly remnant Brithini ... '
>
> >So TotRM 13 is incorrect, and the Brithini don't believe in God ?
>
> It depends on what Greg means by "believe".

I don't suppose that looking up 'believe' in a dictionary might illuminate me any further ... ?

;-)

cheers,

Julian Lord