Re: Giant magic

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:10:41 EDT

Alex:

<< > Pretty much also a part of 'being a dragon', no? >>

> No, not really, IMO. No more than throwing lightning bolts is part of
> 'being a Storm Voice'.

 Different categories of being. Storm Voices are not an a priori class of entity, they're a social condition which presupposes a magical one. >>

     I can't see why that makes a difference, I'm afraid.

<< OTOH, the idea of a dragon learning or heroquesting for the ability to breathe fire (etc) seems rather silly.>>

     Sure. They don't get it in the same way. Still doesn't mean its an aspect of 'being a dragon', IMO.

<< > For good reason, perhaps... My understanding is that the term Dragon Magic
> describes at least primarily the practice of becoming/being a dragon.
> YDMV... >>

> I'd define it simply as the type of magic that dragons use and which
> results from their worldview.

 Only makes sense if you accept that all 'newts and Darudans a priori are dragons (as opposed to potential dragons), since they are the main practitioners of anything one would usefully call 'Dragon Magic'.>>

     I disagree. I said its 'the type of magic that dragons use' not 'the type of magic that dragons, and dragons alone, are able to use'.

<< I'm not entirely sure if I'm arguing against what Trotsky says on dragon magic, what Greg Sez, and/or what Anaxial's Record says. (Not that I entirely mind, admittedly.) >>

     AR (and Greg AFAIK) is pretty vague on this. Draconic magic as practised by 'newts is stated to be a fifth type of magic, not related to the other four (hardly a surprise, I trust). True dragons are also said to have access to this type of draconic magic, but have other nifty magical powers too, which are also presumably 'draconic magic' in some sense. AR explains the rules effect that draconic magic has, but not how to learn it or what the heck the 'newts think they're actually doing (on the grounds that nobody human would be able to understand their explanation anyway*). Darudans aren't mentioned one way or the other.

     So I guess you're just arguing against me, and then on the philosophy, not the end result.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky

Stop Press: AR went to the printers yesterday. US release scheduled for 31st August, if all goes to plan...

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #757