Re: Giants and Dragons, Oh My God!

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:18:00 -0800

> Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:35:02 +0100
> From: "Nick Brooke" <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
> Subject: Giants and Dragons, Oh My God!
>
> Dave Cake writes:
>
> > Dragons [are] becoming more otherworldly (and this extends somewhat to
> > the world around them, perhaps), giants less (eventually becoming mundane
> > themselves). As part of this, Dragons are less bound by the confines of
> > their body (their dreams wander around independently), while giants
> > eventually become nothing but their body.
>
> Genius. Making this another of those "opposed motions" in Gloranthan
> philosophy. Thank you.

Err, but are the axes still orthogonal? Seems to be this spiritual/physical opposition in the Draconic/Giant (which I'm now convinced by) is a bit too similar to the mystical/sorcerous spiritual/physical opposition.

Or can we redefine the mystical/sorcerous axis so it's more "orthogonal" to the Draconic/Giant?

Say mysticism is "the power comes from within, through manipulating your ideas and perceptions" versus sorcerous "the power comes from without, by manipulating the world out there"?

Tom "Eigenvectors" McVey

> I'm just trying to "understand a little more, and condemn a little less" (to
> turn John Major on his head, always a pleasure).

Be sure and drop him on his head while you're at it.

Tom