Re: sorcerous?

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:35:10 +0000

> Let's say I'm a "normal" liturgist. I lead the prayer every
> Godday and my flock thrives under the blessings of the saints.
> Do I feel like I'm practicing sorcery?

I'd say yes, in that I feel magical energies flowing through me and the node I am connected to when leading the service. As a liturgist, I perceive these energies. I am not adept at manipulating them - that takes study, rational investigation etc. - but I do perceive the abstract realm of energy. (For me it is a bit like RW quantum mechanics' pulse space... I could not describe what it "looks" like, or what it feels like, but I can comprehend it.)

> It's just some intuitive use of the laws of nature, I
> would say. Some "innate" understanding of the sorcerous path.

Not so innate, either, IMO. As a liturgist, I perform rituals by rote (much like pupils use formulas by rote to solve square functions' intersections with the x-axis, i.e. without knowing or wanting to know how what I do is right or works).

> Compared to that, I guess that everybody that uses Portal of
> power is aware of doing some sorcery. Like kabbala, or
> numerology, or alchemy. It requires serious studies and
> computations. It goes through decyphering some of the signs
> left by the founders and saints in their grimoires...

Yes, this is about spells, about taking the energies and mold the flow rather than just establish it.

Still, either spell user or mediator of blessings will have to be aware of the nature of the Other Side fueling the magic.