sorcerous?

From: Xavier SPINAT <spinat_at_poly.polytechnique.fr>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:16:18 +0200

Well, it seems there's been a little war fought over my stupid questions. Eh guys, don't be too agressive. Even I can understand that different people may happen to have different ideas.

This "sorcerous" matter is sure an uneasy point. I had no trouble with the wizard/sorcerer difference, and it was not a real problem for translation (making it mage/sorcier). The fact was that we french can't produce adjectives just by wishing them.
"Sorcerous" has no french equivalent, except if we take "sorcier" as an
adjective.
But then, somehow, the terms "sorcerous society" and "sorcerer society" will be the same, which was not the idea. That's why I had to come up with the word "magiste" to respond to
"animiste" "polytheiste" and "mystique".

I don't mean that I grasped much of what complicated meaning lays behind the simple words, but, hell, let's try to be practical before reaching the highest philosphical grounds.

Let's say I'm a "normal" liturgist. I lead the prayer every Godday and my flock thrives under the blessings of ths saints. Do I feel like I'm practicing sorcery?
I guess not. I don't think this involves any kind of study, rational investigation,... It's just some intuitive use of the laws of nature, I would say. Some "innate" understanding of the sorcerous path.

Compared to that, I guess that everybody that uses Portal of power is aware of doing some sorcery. Like kabbala, or numerology, or alchemy. It requires serious studies and computations. It goes through decyphering some of the signs left by the founders and saints in their grimoires... If I were a wizard, I'll see part of the world as an enigma left by God to test my mind. Only the worthy and te strong in faith can decypher the message that God hid in nature. The Saints have found the answer (or part of it). They somehow "computed the name of God" and thus found the key to a higher level. Their lifes become an example and a list of hints for those who follow their ways.
The difference between sorcerer and wizard does down to the involvment in a church, I guess. And the wizard certainly has more obligations and cares more about "being an example" of his own and leading the faithful in the right way of worship.
The sorcerer puts his studies and advancements way above what he owes to others and what kind of example he gives. I would say he doesn't really care whether anyone else will benefit from his work. But for both the sorcery practice is basically the same.

This seems to lead to some "two levels" society. Those who worship and do not study (they never get to reach very high
"levels of being"... except for those that are very pious or innately
gifted by god, they may get insights on part of the creation). Those who study and research. (if they don't fall in some "hubris" attitude, they may well master some secret law of the universe and be blessed with higher understanding of the order of nature)

Of course, this is just the way I see things. Not based on any suggestions/answers by Greg or anyone. I may be very wrong and my intuitions may be absurd, or not gloranthan enough... but well, none of us having ever Malkion nor Zzabur, we have to be inventive.

XS aka Mr "and what if I were a brithini apprentice?" pointless questions