Reviewing Hero Wars

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:38:57 GMT

>From: Olli Kantola
>
>Glorantha: Introduction to the Hero Wars was great (thanks Peter and
>Greg), but it was lacking something; geography. I mean all these cultures
>and myths are very nice, but there is nothing concrete to build your
>campaign on.

[snip]

>And another thing. While I don't personally like HW, it is the future of
>Glorantha. So someone (someone who liked them) should write a positive
>review about it and the new Glorantha book to rpg-net and to other similar
>places.

I think a positive review is going to be very difficult to write. Once I got my head round most of the ideas the concept of Hero Wars seems great. However even with experience of roleplaying and a knowledge of Glorantha I don't think I could play without an experienced narrator's guidance. For someone coming new to the whole idea I suspect it is unplayable, too many things explained only in outline and too few examples of play. The narrator's job is even worse, they have to help the players create a balanced party without any guidence as to mix of abilities required and then provide a balanced opposition.

I am less concerned with detailed maps, a bit of imprecision will allow anything decided by an individual to be slotted into whatever is officially published later. It's a good case for hurrying up with the players and settings books though.

I suppose what I would like to see is one or two stories told in a play format -

Narrator:
Player 1:
Narrator:
Player 2:
Player 1:

etc.
with the actual mechanics alongside to get the hang of relating the two together.

I appreciate that with experience gamers are going to develop their own ways of doing things but the idea is to get new people into playing as easily as possible. If something has to go to fit this in I would suggest the Glorathan Visions book, it's interesting but doesn't help getting into the game very much and a copy of the Glorantha book is going to be needed anyway.

>Just worried about the future of a world that I am so fond of.

It looks like it's going to survive but mainly from experienced people recruiting others which limits growth.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #766