Re: 7 magic

From: Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:53:52 +0100

>Olli (761)
>In Entekosiad there is a myth about the great dance. It tells about 6
>gates and I quote: "At that time the Sixt gate was opened, and people
>would come to visit who had been gone for a long time. Ancestors and
>grandparents came, and sometimes folks from dreams or from the bone land"
>This seems to support the theory that directions and worlds have some kind
>of connection.

IMO it is rather that when all 6 are opened, a 7th "gate to anywhere and anytime" also open. The 6 & 1 model as always this pattern : 6 differents but complementary of the SAME kind gather and this call the 7th that is of ANOTHER kind that is more than the sum of the 6.

>That also suggests that at -Z would be the dream world, but
>dream world isn't really a valid choice for a world, because there would
>also need to be a dream viewpoint, to see the world from.

IMHO the following explanation is less complicated. It also explain why Dream magic is only found in the East. It also imply that Dream magic is not well considered by mystics. Is that so ?
Is there anybody with 'Well traveled in the East 10W2+" in the audience ?

>David Cake (746)
>I always figured that the dream world and the mystic
>otherworld where pretty much the same thing. The mystics are said to
>have no otherworld of their own, because they deny its existence or
>importance. So as they deny the existence and importance of the
>otherworld, it becomes mutable and illusionary. As they refuse to
>interact with it to tie it down, it has no permanent form. Thus we
>get the dreamworld, a mutable changing thing. Some other 'mystic'
>otherworlds are similar (Kralori hells, for example) - and in most
>cases, the mystics teach that the real way to win at a heroquest is
>to deny the existence/importance of the challenge and refuse to be
>distracted. In other words, Refute Refute Refute.

Sidenote

I think we must be carefull before implying there is some "opposition" between the different magical tradition. It is already a gross approximation to place Animism in the South with Hunshen about everywhere. As any Illuminate can tell you, it's rahter easy to find an explanation afterward.

:-) Hervé