Re: More on Marriage

From: Bender the Robot <bendertherobot_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:17:49 -0400

Thomas McVey wrote

>If women always marry outside the clan, wouldn't there then be a=20
>disincentive for the clan to put a bunch of resources into educating=20
>them or training them?

Only if the men control the educational and training resources, and not = necessarily even then. Since women don't have the low status we would =

expect from low training/education, we can infer that women control some =
of those resources, or there are reasons why men want their daughters to =
be educated/trained.  Both men and women would want daughters to be well =
prepared a) to maximize their value in wedding contracts* and b) to = reflect well on their clans while serving as ambassadors/wives. Then = there's c) the chance that the woman will stay with her clan or return = to it.

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Thomas McVey wrote</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&gt;If women always marry outside the clan, =
wouldn't there=20
then be a <BR>&gt;disincentive for the clan to put a bunch of resources = into=20
educating <BR>&gt;them or training them?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Only if the men control the educational and =
training=20
resources, and not necessarily even then.&nbsp; Since women don't have = the low=20
status we would expect from low training/education, we can&nbsp;infer = that women=20
control some of those resources, or there are reasons why men want their =

daughters to be educated/trained.&nbsp; Both men and women would want = daughters=20
to be well prepared a) to maximize their value in wedding contracts* and = b) to=20
reflect well on their clans while serving as ambassadors/wives.&nbsp; = Then=20
there's c) the chance that the woman will stay with her clan or return = to=20
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>* "We're sending you a fine lass, with a strong =
back and=20
nimble fingers, and she can make poultices and splint broken = bones.&nbsp; What=20
can your lassy do?"&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>--Matt</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>