RE: More on Marriage

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:29:51 +0100 (BST)

> > It might explain why there are multiple marriage patterns (e.g.
> > under-husband).

> Absolutely, your brightest daughters stay within the clan, and the prettiest
> are married off for political purposes.

I think this is exactly why endogamous marriage (or if you prefer, 'marriage') is far from uncommon, as per the original suggestion. (That's endogamous in the 'from inside' sense, as opposed to the 'from outside but rebranded inside' sense, the two of which seem to be getting tangled up.) To imply "oh yeah, all those types must have under-husbands" I find improbably exclusivist and prescriptive, especially given the nature of KoS's statements on the matter.

> I wonder if this might be an explanation for the RW tendency to consider
> female education less important (as exemplified in modern Afghanistan).

Hardly the most prepossessing of analgoues for the Orlanthi, methinks.

This list is amazingly quiet these days. Has everyone sloped off to the newer, trendier eGroups lists to avoid the frightening volume of the Digest?

Slán,
Alex.