RE: More on Marriage

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:22:43 -0800

> Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 13:05:41 +0100
> From: "Phil Hibbs" <phil_at_snark.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: RE: More on Marriage
>
> > >So, wouldn't this suggest that there are at least *some*
> > >intra-clan marriages?
>
> DD:
> > It might explain why there are multiple marriage patterns (e.g.
> > under-husband).
>
> Absolutely, your brightest daughters stay within the clan, and the prettiest
> are married off for political purposes.
>
> I wonder if this might be an explanation for the RW tendency to consider
> female education less important (as exemplified in modern Afghanistan).

No, it's because if males give women a fair crack of the whip at education, they end up opening an enormous can of whup-ass on us (c.f. male versus female college enrollments in the US and UK).

That's why we *have* patriarchy. We can't compete with them durn feminists on a level playing field. So we've got to guilt-trip 'em and use double standards at every opportunity. Mess up their pretty little heads so we can keep the good jobs.

I'm sure the Heortlings must have something similiar, otherwise they'd end up looking like Esrolia or Peoria. (Maybe a heroquest like "Lhankor Mhy patronises Voria", or something like that).

;)

Tom