Re: Sorcery

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:36:46 -0500 (CDT)

Peter wrote:

> Where else do you propose sorcerers get their magics from? If it
> could be done from the mundane world and the simple reading of
> books, then every gloranthan could do it.

Everybody can learn to do differental equations without having to depend on arcane focuses (Like PCs running Maple). Ok, not everybody, any more than "every gloranthan" can learn sorecery. It requires somebody who is fairly bright, has the right mindset to learn, a teacher (or a really dedicated student and books), and some idea as to why they should learn this.

If you never get taught how to count without using your fingers you are unlikely to ever figure out what tensors can be used for. If you think that the very idea of imposing your will on the universe is evil and anyone practicing it should be burned at the stake I might suggest it would tend to reduce the likelyhood of your choosing to study how to do this.

Kevin