Jhoraz Khyree

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:53:26 EDT

  Ian Thomson:

> Pavis was founded by Pavis and Joraz Kyrem who were both students of
> draconic wisdom in one form or another. I don't think this has to mean that
> they were intent on turning themselves into dragons, or even that JK was a
> mystic per se, but both were experimental H Questers.

David Dunham:

  Jhoraz Khyree was almost certainly no such thing -- he was a Pure   Horse chieftain. Since the Pure Horse had been allied with the   Jrusteli approximately 30 years earlier, my guess is that he is (like   most chieftains) a politician, who figured his chances were much   better with the EWF (which was after all a lot closer to Prax than   the Jrusteli).>>

I have to agree with David on JK, although I do think he and Pavis were genuine friends. Pavis, I think, was the mystic religious guy, JK the practical hands on leader (hence the dynasty: Pavis had the vision, but JK could actually run the place)

<< 45 years later (which suggests JK was a heroquester, though says   nothing about experimenting), he fled back to Dragon Pass and this   time recruited the Sun Domers (probably the Tharkantus cult, which is   among the least draconic of the EWF cults).>>

The unusual nature of some of his exploits (e.g. creating Zebra) indicate to me that he was prepared to do experimental heroquests (exactly what that means though, is open to question; he did it for a practical reason, something *similar* has been done before (mules))

<< Sorry, but I'm not reading anything into KoS.192-193 or RoC.9-11   which suggests any connection between the Pure Horse leader and   draconic wisdom (if anything, the reverse, since they are said to be   very traditional). I think he is just a pragmatic opportunist.>>

The Pure Horse are traditional, almost by definition, by JK was not traditional; he created a 'modern' tribe/people.

Keith N

Jhoraz Kyree, Man of the Sun,
Bred the zebra, made them run,
When the Giants came to stay