The HeroPlane, sans -20's.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:55:59 +0100 (BST)

Charles Corrigan:
> Greg announced at Convulsion that the Hero Plane bordered equally on
> all of the otherworlds and that it was not preferentially associated
> with the Theist Otherside - as already mentioned by Michael Cule.
> While this resolves several problems, it breaks other things.

It does? You don't name any, and I can't personally think of 'em... It was pretty much already clear that there was at least the equivalent of the HeroPlane for all the methods: all that Greg has 'clarified' is that they're effectively merged together in such a way that all methods are in principle 'equally correct' throughout, just as they are in the Inner World.

> By his own admission, Greg had only "realised" this about two
> hours before he told us all, so there is a good chance that this will
> change again.

Let's hope not. I doubt he 'realized' most of what went into HW on this topic with any clearer foresight, anyway... I have no doubt that some people are trying to change it back for him, but perhaps they'll remain Refuted.

> I am saddened by the loss of unique environments of the
> different Otherworlds that PCs would have to visit as part of their
> quests.

All we've lost are some cheesily artificial methodology penalties, surely. No one is suggesting that different worldviews don't experience different things, after all. Rather the objection is to the idea that you could neatly partition up the Other Side, and say it was 'always' the case (apart from all the exceptions, which contrary to the proverb have never 'proved' _any_ rule) that a given part could only be correctly experienced by one of four different methods. Personally, I'm not opposed to the idea that there are _some_ portions of the HeroPlane where those some some viewpoints are advantaged to those with another (though often likely on a finer-grainer basis that the four 'systems'), I just dislike the idea you can neatly slice the whole world up that way like a quiche lorraine serving a hungry family of four.

> I am certain that I remember Greg stating in some forum that
> Sorcerers Town on the Lightbringers Quest is on the Sorcerous
> Otherside.

Another problem solved, then. How much sense did it ever make to say you could only understand a theistic heroquest by going outside of the theistic worldview?

> Another part of the problem is that once you travel to the edges of the
> world, it is also considered to be part of the Hero Plane.

Why would this be a problem? This has always been an aspect of the definition of the Hero Plane. It's not clear to me that there was ever likely to have been a sensible answer to 'which' heroplane you end up in by walking off a given direction, being of some possibly different magic system oneself.

Cheers,
Alex.