Re: More Sorcery

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:41:28 -0500 (CDT)

Peter wrote:

> But you weren't using the Free INT rules, were you? As I said before
> the need for spell matrices and MP storage devices for RQ3 sorcery could
> have been _intentional_.

Well, yes. At least according to Charlie Krank and Sandy Petersen, who wrote it. Every magical tradition had a sink into which to toss their POW. Theists had rune spells, Shamens had their fetch, and sorcerers had devices and storage matrices.

However a sorcerer didn't require them to cast every spell. To use magic in close combat, cast many spells, or to do really powerful spells they pretty much did. But you could do basic magic without devices. (Traditionally people tended to cheat and use int spirits, however. Much more effective than matrices just to hold the basic spells.) You did need training, which is what the adept provided. With about 10 points of POW in devices you have maybe 10 points of int and maybe 42 MPs free. As 10 points is what a priest needs, that works pretty well. At this point a sorcerer in close combat is not going to be casting many spells, but life is hard.

Exactly why you are supposed to require a device in HW is not clear. In terms of game balance not all the magical traditions do it. It seems very much D&Dish. "I've lost my books, now I can't renew my magic."

Kevin