Western occultism

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:49:54 +0800

Alex wrote:
> > Kabbalism is my favorite.
>
>Kabbalism clearly assumes an otherworld, and one which sounds to me a
>lot like the Sorcery Plane...

        Count me in for another of the voices supporting Kabbalism as a reasonable source of inspiration for the sorcerous worldview. Sephiroth (and for that matter Qlippoth) correspond reasonably to some nodes.

        Also enochian magic as a source of inspiration, as practiced by John Dee. Tarot is also an inspiration for some traditions, though not all.

        God Learner sorcery was probably a bit like Golden Dawn, or some Crowley. A grab bag of whatever they could find, including some stuff that is very mechanical and dispersonal, and some stuff that is rather overtly theist (even if the 'worship' is only a mechanism of convenience). And some stuff that is culturally inappropriate (Hindu Tattwas, Egyptian deities) but just so convenient.

        I lean in the direction of Zzaburism and other esoteric high sorcery drawing on Alchemy.

Oliver wrote:
>I not sure why the Hero Plane being one contiguous area would make it lose
>unique environments.

        I agree. There are large areas of the Otherworld that are not particular to a particular worldview, and innately hostile to others. That sounds fine to me, and doesn't make it any less 'unique'.

	Cheers
		David