Re: I've been to a marvellous party....

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 04:07:24 +0100 (BST)

I, too, enjoyed myself tremendously at Convulsion. Great to meet you/see you again, everbodypeeps. Apologies to those of you I missed again, said 'hibye' to before rushing off in a mad tiz elsewhere, or totally failed to recognise... I feel much energised about things Gloranthan (and indeed, things Pendragonish, to veer off-topic), notwithstanding the cold I inflicted on myself almost the entire weekend, the sleep deprivation, the drink, the turning into a giant pizza, and of course the ritual abuse of Scottish banknotes. (Since I was just off a plane from Euroland, I felt I was more than meeting the Sassenachs halfway with United Kingdom currency of some sort, but there you go.)

Michael Cule:
> The Gregging (I only heard this second hand mind) of the 'seperate
> Otherworlds' idea. According to a semi-reliable and admittedly drunken
> source who shall remain nameless except to say it was Alex Fergusson,

Obviously my evil Swedish (or Orlanthi) alter-ego, then. I'd prefer to think of myself as 'reliable and semi-drunken', but since my recollection of the reported conversation is fairly hazy... (Nick Brooke was also opining away, so I can fall back on blaming him.)

> Greg said that though the Sorcery, Theist and Spirit parts of the
> Otherworld remain as separate 'home territories' in which the full
> 'alien Otherworld' penalties apply there is a 'common territory' in
> which all can interact. Huzzah! And a cheer for this triumph (if true)
> for Common Sense!

Pretty much. As I understood him, the entire HeroPlane is 'common territory' (doubtless with 'A Little Local Difficulty' here and there, maybe conditioned simply by quality of knowledge), while the God Plane, Sorcery Plane, etc, are not. Since 'all' HQing is in the HeroPlane, the four worlds are largely kicked into touch for most practical purposes, it would seem. 'Merely an error in perception', as we faux-mystics might say.

> I missed the Lore Auction (note to the next organisers: give a hint (if
> possible) of what the LARPS will clash with.

The programme does seem to have been a touch seat-of-the-pants this year. And a thin seat, at that. There were plenty of excellent guests, and a remarkable lack of panels to put them on. If, as PR2 belatedly hinted, it's going to be a matter of 'BYOP', then can we have a bit more notice that this is so, someone with which to liaise to put them on, space left on the schedule (and in the building) for them to take place in... If a certain committee member's wee hours contention that there was nothing left to talk about is correct, why is my throat so sore? PG-rated answers only, please. (He'll remain nameless except to say it was David Scott.) Fortunately, we're all so well-grooved at this (and wellopiled  to boot) that sitting around conspiring in little groups seemed a reasonable option, but heaven help the newcomers we're supposed to be attracting to Glorantha in droves.

> And call the Lore Auction
> the Lore Auction and not Chump for Change so I'll know what's going
> on...). Anyone who didn't care to catalogue what was said?

There was _yet more_ 'rowback' on the four worlds, with Greg saying things like 'obviously' there are more than those four methods to do magic... All we need now is a notarised statement from him that they can overlap, as well, as seems to be fish-slapping- dancely obvious.

Cheers,
Alex.