Eneria

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:22:08 +0100

> Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:39:23 +0200
> From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
- -..
> Hedkoranth also figures in July's Myth of the Month on the
> Issaries web site:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that. In the myth it says:

> Hedkoranth and Vingkot swore they would return their sister to
>their homes, and they and the Aedinings
> hated each other afterwards. Hedkoranth, with new allies after
>Vingkot was killed, succeeded during the
> Darkness, and sent the Happiness Song to be sung among the
>ancestors of the Heortlings. Hedkoranth
> married her, but since Aedin and all his tribe were dead, even the
>jewel of happiness from Eneria was
> melancholy.

This seems to say that Hedkoranth married either Eneria, his sister, or the Happiness Song, his niece. Hardly a typical exogamous Orlanthi marriage!

Are there any other incestuous marriages in Orlanthi myth? I always thought it was a big no-no. Perhaps Eneria is not Orlanth's daughter, but his step-daughter, brought to his household when he married Ernalda? Is marrying a step-sister OK? I'd have thought not.

If Orlanth is not Eneria's father, who is? Laughter and happiness sound like the domain of the Harmony rune, but the Celestial Court holder of that (don't recall the name) is female, so we ought to rule that out. If Eneria is Ernalda's daughter, she would be of the Earth tribe, and so might be one of those Earth deities without a father.

Perhaps Eneria fulfilled some of the mythic functions taken over by Voria?