RE: Solar Balazarings

From: Oliver Bernuetz <oliver_bernuetz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 13:11:39 CDT

Nick Eden :

>So there I was trying to write some keywords for using Griffin
>Mountain with Hero Wars. I take it that no-one's going to argue with
>Brother Dog now being an animist tradition rather than a god.

I've been working on this myself and I believe all the Balazaring's ex-gods are now spirits.

>I do find myself wondering who the Citadel folk worship. In Griffin
>Mountain it is said that a significant number of people worship
>Yelmalio. Yelmalio's rather been retconned into non-existance these
>days. So who do they worship?

In my version they worship a number of spirits the main ones being Votank for the proper method to be a man, Foundchild for hunting, Hearthmother for women's ways, Tharkantus (Yemalio) for war, Balazar for leadership skills, Entra (the sow mother) for pigs.

>Griffin Mountain does say that Yelmalio is the dominant god in the
>wilds as well as the citadels, but I never believed that. RQ2 >syndrome of
>'we've only got one solar god to play with, so we assume >he's top dog'

I don't believe this either. Most Balazarings worship either Foundchild or Hearthmother. Tharkantus is followed only by clan chiefs and his warrior followers, a tiny percentage.

Once I get my keywords to some state that I feel comfortable with I plan on offering them to the Glorantha web site.

Oliver D. Bernuetz
www.geocities.com/bernuetz