Re: Kyger Litor

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:40:18 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe:
> Individual uzko (I make no judgements about what the Uzuz
> cannot do) shouldn't be able to combine magical insights
> (such as animism and theism) as you suggest.

The question isn't, IMO, so much much whether they 'combine' animism and theism per se, as whether that analysis holds true for them in the first place. Happily, Greg at Convulsion was airy-fairy almost to the point of dismissiveness about the 'four ways or the highway' impression of Glorantha one might get from certain portions of HW.

Peter's statements about typical worship seems pretty sound, I do say. I have difficulties with the notion that there's some sort of bistable (or tristable, or tetrastable) condition where it's possible to use one of two (or three of four) discrete methods to worhsip the same (explicitly and acknowledgedly the same, in this case) entity, but nothing in between: one has to suddenly 'flip' from one method to the other. (One 'correct' method at least, bearing in mind the misapplied worship flannel.) IMO, there's clear scope for theistic worship with ecstatic elements to shade into animist worship with sacrificial elements, and HW seems to go out of it's way to obscure, obfuscate, or deny this, for no apparent reason.

> They should
> only have affinities _or_ spirits. One could look at the
> Storm Bull writeup at www.glorantha.com (defiant cults)

Don't get the reference to defiant cults. Who will rid me of this turbulent lack of a site index, map, or search engine? I did find two different Urox keywords, though...

Cheers,
Alex.