Re: Land of Giants, and other 'World of Pendragon' excursions.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:50:36 +0100 (BST)

Rasmus:
> Yes if it is feudal settings we are looking for why not use Logres or
> any other part of the "main"-land. Sound like you are trying to turn it
> into Logres, part 2 now with some wild men out side
> I love the pagan shore as it is now (and even more after I did move to
> Ireland), and it make a great contrast to Arthurs good kingdom. but OK I
> am one of those that take the system over the setting, and have used it
> for anything beside Arthur

I'm a touch bipolar on this one; PS struck me as the best of the 'non-Pendragon supplements', by a distance, but equally, the trend of 'it's a nice place to visit, but instead we're going to give you material focused on starting an new campaign there' got a little wearing after the first five...

I hope the new version doesn't end up being neither fish nor fowl, but there is, I think a balance that can be struck here. The Pale is legitimately part of the Malorian Canon, and that could certainly do with a much less dismissive treatment than PS-I gave it. The 'native Irish' element is also legitimate and funky, but I think if it's to be part of the main line, it needs to make more concessions to what it's like as a place for feudal types (either Irish or British) to adventure, as opposed to simply being someplace to come from. That does't mean making the whole island infested with feudalism, IMO. (Of course Galehaut's kingdom is another example, to be sure.)

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #808