animism

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_lyyra.kempele.fi>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:16:52 +0300 (EEST)

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

>I dunno how accurate HW is to the new Glorantha reality considering
>its deliberate heroic focus and I wouldn't bat an eyelid if a
>nitty-gritty grognard said that RQ2/3 was a far better description
>of glorantha.

Well, it really does describe Glorantha better in every way, ecxept magic. :D I have converted theistic magic already (5 cults and a magic system converted) and I am now working on animism.

>>BTW, do ever fetishes "run out" of their mojo? Are the spirits bound to
>>fetishes freed after the owner of the fetishes dies?
>
>It depends on the fetish. If the fetish was one-use (something
>you might want consider introducing in Runequest), then the
>spirit leaves the fetish once it has been manifested.

I have done that already.

>If a fetish was multiple-use or the spirit was embodied then
>it remains there after the owner dies until someone else
>picks it up and uses it.

Now that can cause some serious problems. That would mean that every animist would have tens of fetishes. High ranking animists would have fetishes made by some great shaman 1000 years ago. Unlike money, it is easy to make more fetishes. Could fetishes last for the lifetime of their makers (that would make tribal shamans very important indeed)? Can fetishes be traded away? If they can, then it would circumvate the death if the owner thingey, really nicely, or it could result in some really bad trades (when the warez come from a 90 year old shaman). Maybe fetishes could last from a few seasons to 10 years depending on thei quality and the power of the spirit contained within.

As I understand, in HW fetishes disintegrate, are stolen by midgets, are claimed by clan elders, lose their mojo, etc. if you don't spend 1 HP to cement it. What does this mean? How to discribe this to the player? What does the character feel? Or is this cementing just a rules construct, that doesn't have any significanse to the campaign world?

Olli Kantola