Animism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:48:09 +1200

Olli Kantola:

> >RQ3 already has ample detail on fetishes for spirit magic
> >and binding spirits in matrices.

>Yes, but in RQ you can't have "an unlimited amount of" fetishes
>(because of free int) and matrises are much more expensive, than
>the new Gloranthan reality dictates (I assume, that HW describes
>that.).

I dunno how accurate HW is to the new Glorantha reality considering its deliberate heroic focus and I wouldn't bat an eyelid if a nitty-gritty grognard said that RQ2/3 was a far better description of glorantha.

That said,

>BTW, do ever fetishes "run out" of their mojo? Are the spirits bound to
>fetishes freed after the owner of the fetishes dies?

It depends on the fetish. If the fetish was one-use (something you might want consider introducing in Runequest), then the spirit leaves the fetish once it has been manifested.

If a fetish was multiple-use or the spirit was embodied then it remains there after the owner dies until someone else picks it up and uses it.

>Can deists use
>fetishes without problems (I have a Kolating shaman in my group.)?

It becomes one use and some religions regard this as sinful.

>I'd expect that shamen can't "manufacture" fetishes for infidels
>for money without damaging their connection to their fetches,

The spirit-talkers in KoDP seemed to have no such inhibitions. Quite the opposite IIRC...