Orlanthi Marriage

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:09:12 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham
>In the spirit of compromise, I think you're right
that a year-wife,
>bed-wife, or love-wife would remain in her birth
clan. As would an
>over-wife or Esrolian wife (though then her husband
changes clan).

Agreed. I think the form of marriage is very important. There are 3 type of marriage: equals in which an exchange of property occurs and inheritance is conferred on the partner to the others property, unequal in which no property exchange occurs but children are considered legitimate heirs, temporary sexual unions.

We can probably mostly disregard the latter. The woman/man is a temporary resident of the household. The children would belong to the mother and no exchange rights to property exists. She/He would probably be regarded by most as a member of their former clan who was a temporary resident in the household - they might form friendships but the nature of the relationship would mean they were not considered kin, and they would rely on protection from

their kin on their own bloodline. In a 'corporate' view of the bloodline they are the temporary workers. If the relationship between bloodlines deteriorates their position is threatened.

In a partnership but with no property exchange, the woman or man is still not 'kin', the property has not been joined into the bloodline (although children can inherit from both mother and father). Children are probably considered to belong to the father in patrilineal clans the mother in matrilineal, unless they are the 'under' part of the relationship. The status of the partner is probably that of fostered children or hostages - those giving them shelter are responsible for the weregild and support and in return they are expected to support the bloodline (Norse and Celtic literature regulalry records and approves of hostages or foster-children fighting against their kin on behalf of those who they live with and such action is regarded as noble and honourable). In 'coroporate' view of the bloodline they are permanent employees but not shareholders.

In a partnership with property exchange the husband/wife is probably now considered kin. There is an exchange of property and the new partner's fortunes are linked to the rest of the corporate bloodline. She is probably considered one of the 'bloodline' until divorce (at which point property may return with her). Children are probably treated as above. In a 'corporate' view of the bloodline they are shareholders and gain equity in the corporate 'bloodline' on joining.

Of course love may figure in the whole business somewhere but not that often. All grist for the RPG mill and both KoDP and Dorastor had episodes built around marriage issues.

Ian Cooper

Do You Yahoo!?