Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #825

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_lyyra.kempele.fi>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:14:57 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Herve.Ancelin_at_skf.com wrote

> Is the EWF loss of their dragon knowledge the result of a failed HQ with
> extra-ordinary community support ?

The loss of dragonic knowledge by EWF was a result of assassination of their leaders and Minarian Memory Removal (or was it the other memory thingey). EWF was a pyramidical structure and eliminating its leaders cut of the top of the pyramid, making it harder for "normal" followers to associate with the world dragon, perhaps leaving them vulnerable to the Minarian Memory Removal.

This backlash by the dragons was a result of corrupted morale of the EWF leaders (see Tradetalk for details on the corruption), perhaps triggered by events in the east (see G:tIttHW). The Cosmic Dragon project could indeed been seen as a very long heroquest, in the sense that large scale interaction with the otherworld is a heroquest. The EWF leaders were indeed close to "dragonhood", which could be seen as an "otherworld" (even if it's within (the same as with sorcery, the magic has to come from somewhere... I guess.), but it doesn't make any difference.

> They would have bet this knowledge against something (perhaps the success of
> their plan to form a dragon) ?

All this betting seems really funny to me. Do Gloranthans really think of heroquests as a form of gambling? Heehaw. ;)

Olli Kantola