Re: Dark Eater

From: Meirion Hopkins <Meirion_at_ukgateway.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 20:11:31 +0100

> Joe
> Drastic:Prax p.10 says, "Winter begins when Dark Eater clears the horizon."

If Dark Eater turns up in response to the increased fertility this would make more sense. His
presence announces winter because he likes to arrive early for the feast!

The trolls' attack on the fertility ritual might be to gain control of a food source, or probably
just because there is plenty to eat there.

> Keith N
>

> I saw a documentary on animal swarms the other day and it strikes me that a
> locust swarm would be a pretty good incarnation of Dark Eater; eats
> everything, is a Darkness Creature, blots out the sun, etc I don't know when
> locust (or any other swarming critters) swarm but it occurred to me that I
> have never heard mention of an insect plague in Prax but there really should
> be such things.

Excellent idea.

(IIRC) Locusts emerge in or just after the rainy season. The damp stimulates their eggs to hatch at
the time when there is most to eat. I can't recall if its known why they swarm - since they don't
do it every year.

In good years (from the Praxians' point of view) there are big, fat, delicious & nutritious
grasshoppers bouncing about. In a bad year a swarm. In a VERY BAD year, swarms of giant locust
turn up and all hell breaks loose... (locust are cannibalistic, so giant ones would probably
supplement their diet with anything they can get there mandibles into)

Cheers,

Meirion

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #835