Desert Trackers

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 10:45:41 +0100 (BST)

Subject: Re: Desert Trackers

Neil Smith
> established between the two. Silk, object d'art, and
technical
> innovations come from Kralorela; metal, mounts, and
mercenaries go the
> other way.

Andreas Mueller:
>I'm surprised that Kralorela would have to import
>this goods at all.
>Mercenaries are the least transportable of this
>goods, I doubt that they
>would come from the Holy Country. As far as I recall
>the goods going to
>China over the Silk Road were gold, silver, jade,
>medicine, incense and
>spices, with the Indians taking a major role as
>intermediary between
>europe and china

One of the most significant (and organised) trading between contintents in Dark Ages Europe, Africa and the Middle East was slaves (for may trading towns slavery was the major source of income including centres were slaves were turned into eunuchs (you wanted want a kebab in that town).

We know from CoP that Pimper's Block is the major trading point for slaves between Maniria and the Wasteland, and Biturain Varosh' route to Pavis may be a slave trade route (and we know that some of the fall in population in Sartar tribes is due to the taking of thralls, some may well be sold at Pimper's Block); The Lunars, Wolf Pirates and Praxians (groundmen) use slaves, a lot of Orlanthi do as do the Grazers (vendref), I am sure that the Grantlands are being built on slave farm labour, and I expect that slaves may well be shipped to Kralorela (including eunuchs) thought I am sure may would die on a trip across the wastelands or by ship's hold).

Note that not all slaves of this period are of the working in chains on the cotton field variety; it is far more a legal distinction seperating the free from the owned. The differences betweena slave and a later medieval serf were not that high. Some armies were composed of slaves and some slaves rose to rule empires (the Mamluks).

Wonder who the Gloranthan Spartacus is (Harrek?)

Ian

Do You Yahoo!?