Re: Desert Trackers

From: Andreas Mueller <mueller_at_faw.uni-ulm.de>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 11:58:56 +0200

Neil Smith writes:
> established between the two. Silk, object d'art, and technical
> innovations come from Kralorela; metal, mounts, and mercenaries go the
> other way.

I'm surprised that Kralorela would have to import this goods at all. Mercenaries are the least transportable of this goods, I doubt that they would come from the Holy Country. As far as I recall the goods going to China over the Silk Road were gold, silver, jade, medicine, incense and spices, with the Indians taking a major role as intermediary between europe and china.

> The southern route, more useful to the Holy Country and potentially more
> lucrative, was through the Wastelands to the Iron Forts. However, the
> more fertile lands, the many populated oases, and the more fragmented
> nature of Praxian politics meant that large, non-stop caravans were not
> as feasible. Instead, staged caravans were the norm. A caravan would
> set out from the Marches and travel some distance into the Wastes. It
> would then arrive at an oasis, buy and sell various goods, and return.
> The HC goods would then be taken to another oasis further into the
> Wastes, and so on, until the items eventually reached the Iron Forts.
> Stuff from Kralorela would then make a similar, staged, journey back.

I can't imagine Karawansereis in the wastelands. In my opinion, the trade occurs by osmosis: The nomads trade at the Iron Forts (including _Praxian_ mercenaries) and in the course of their trekking get near to Zola Fel, where they trade with people from Dragon Pass. IMO this would also explain, why they are traded with at all (despite the risk and the strengthening of the enemy with metal weapons).

I agree that this trade will be at a very low level. The great caravan with about 1000 members taking the direct route would be a very rare event met with severe resistance by the nomad clans.

Just my thoughts.

Many Greetings,

Andreas

End of The Glorantha Digest V7 #791