RE: Shepherds

From: Hughes, John (NAT) <"Hughes,>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:02:02 +1100

Heys folks

> Julian and David have been exploring shepherding and herding.

Pastoral poetry aside, most herding is dull and boring, interspersed with short periods of intense terror. (Bit like modern warfare in that sense). Sheep herding involves summer grazing in isolated upland pastures. I don't think Heortlings practice substantial transhumanance of cattle, and most cattle will be kept fairly close to the steads. (Water meadows are both prime land and prime cattle country, and would feature heavily in choosing a site for a stead.)

In many ancient societies, herding was done by either full-time shepherds (not a career choice with much scope for promotion), or by the young.

My vision is that a substantial part of herding is done by young men and women in the years directly before and after initiation, and its one the ways they begin to acquire their own herds. Young women certainly would do their share, but also certainly in company with their brothers. (This tradition has become strengthened since the Lunar invasion, as it provides a perfect excuse for the young to high-tail it into the hills for that banned initiation preparation and ceremony).

I have difficulty picturing warriors doing much *direct* herding, its really basic mind-numbing stuff. (Shepherds enjoy a reputation as poets cause there's really nothing much else for them to do). Cattle would be checked as part of basic tula patrols. For sheep, while you could argue that chaos or uz are a constant threat, if its *that* constant then there's no economic sense in continuing to herd in that particular area. It's more likely that warriors would only be called to sheep herding areas if raiding becomes a problem.

Magical sheep breeds also complicate the picture, but again economics indicates that if it's *that* special, you keep it close to the stead.

John
(Searching for the Veedon Fleece...)