Shepherds

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:01:53 +0200

John says much that I agree with :

> Sheep herding involves summer grazing in isolated upland pastures. I don't
> think Heortlings practice substantial transhumanance of cattle, and most
> cattle will be kept fairly close to the steads.

Which is why I conclude that most cowherds are women (Uralda being a women's goddess, and cowherding being an activity around the stead), but most shepherds are men (shepherding being a sort of ranging out and about activity)

> I have difficulty picturing warriors doing much *direct* herding,

So do I.

David :

> : She made the secret sign to Ernalda. Ernalda noticed the sign, and
> from the greeting
> : Ernalda gave her, Uralda recognized Ernalda as her mother.
>
> To me this is a woman's mystery, and shows why only women can be initiates.

I don't think that Uralda is much of a problem. I'll just be applying the Thunder Rebels info, myself.

However, I fail to see that male shepherds shouldn't be able to join the sheep cult, even if Nevala *is* a herd mother goddess.

The thing is that she was originally a daughter of Tholaina, I believe, (although the Orlanthi probably ignore this) and the usual rules for herd mothers are therefore not automatically true.

For instance, she isn't an Ernaldan goddess at all, but she was captured by Vadrus (probably) during the gods' war, and belonged to the men as a slave goddess. She may very well still be in the men's group of divinities, as a servant of Orlanth. It's very likely, in fact.

> I believe most Heortling herders (whether of cows or sheep) are
> initiates of Orlanth.

Perhaps ! I'm waiting for Thunder Rebels before fully making up my mind on this sort of stuff, though.

Julian Lord