Re: Shepherds

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:56:06 -0700

Alex Ferguson has not RTFM:

> As for the sources cited: KoDP offers only 'statistical evidence'
> of this, so far as I'm aware (i.e., "I've never seen a male Uraldan
> in KoDP"),

It's in the manual, p. 52: "Males can't attempt the Ernalda or Uralda quests." That's statistics with no outliers.

Remember that the quest includes

: She made the secret sign to Ernalda. Ernalda noticed the sign, and from the greeting
: Ernalda gave her, Uralda recognized Ernalda as her mother.

To me this is a woman's mystery, and shows why only women can be initiates.

I believe most Heortling herders (whether of cows or sheep) are initiates of Orlanth. People don't worship deities just because they offer cool magic -- especially because most deities will give some of their cool magic merely for a sacrifice (or prayer).

> (And husband-stealing, to be fair! (Isn't that the episode that
> occurs in KoDP?))

"We weren't exactly stealing them, just borrowing for a night."

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein