Re: Shepherds

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:39:18 +0100 (BST)

Julian Lord:
> Well, hw-rules was definitely the wrong list for this, so ...

Ah, so that _is_ where everyone has gone!

> Jeff Kyer :
>
> > And no, to someone's questions earlier, Uralda and Nevala are Female
> > Only. Check KODP and the HW rules for details.
>
> I disagree. Nevala is almost certainly not female only, just as shepherding
> isn't a male-only profession IMO ; as Simon Bray asked, "Where would
> Bo Peep be without her sheep?"

Perhaps he meant (or should be read as having meant) 'Orlanthi Only'. It would be very odd indeed if you needed to join Nandan just as a route to get cow-tending magic... (Unlike Ernalda the Mother, in which case it would rather make sense...)

As for the sources cited: KoDP offers only 'statistical evidence' of this, so far as I'm aware (i.e., "I've never seen a male Uraldan in KoDP"), and HW:RiG isn't specific about this 'aspect', saying only that 'many' aspects have such a restriction. (Which in any case Nandan initiation would do the job for, fairly generally.)

Cheers,
Alex.