Glorantha the Opera

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 02:43:03 -0500

> What other forms do you suggest? poetry? plays? films? novels? opera???

    Definitely Opera. Glorantha has all the elements of a tragic opera. I can see it now. Our lovers (the tenor and the soprano) are trying to persuade their clans to allow them to marry. He attempts a Ulerian heroquest to win her hand, but fails when the evil Lunar Empire invades Sartar, led by a villainous baritone, who takes the soprano prisoner, intending to send her off to the harem of the lecherous Red Emperor. The tenor strives mightily to rescue her, only to finally see her consumed by the foul Crimson Bat. A heroic combat between the tenor and the baritone ensues, in which the tenor signs the rousing aria "Oh Perfidious Moon!", at the climax of which he strikes down the baritone, but is driven mad by the powers of the wicked alto Moon Priestess. Strangling her with her own topknot braid, he weeps for his lost love and flings himself off the cliffs of Boldhome. The standing ovation will last for days!

Andrew E. Larsen