Re: The future, my take

From: Eric Rowe <wizard_at_wizards-attic.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:07:28 -0700

>Where will Glorantha be as a storytelling world? This is were it's getting
>really interesting! As you all know TSR had financial problems and that
was the
>reason WotC was able to purchase them, but one thing sold all the time - game
>tie-in novels.

And how TSR mishandled them (and other things) was one of the big causes of their problems.

>I have heard the story multiple times about how Greg started writing about G
>because he wanted to tell fantasy stories. How come none of this has seen
>print? I think that stuff like "Gloranthan Visions" probably is one of the
best
>way of making money and spread the word. I personally didn't like some of the
>material in that book, but I've liked the Griselda stories. Needless to say,
>this takes some know-how, but Chaosium has been publishing novels for some
time
>now and that knowledge probably could be tapped (no, not like that! No
>sorcery!). And they have to be better proofread than e.g. the HeroWars
>rulesbook.

I believe novels and fiction are a vital part of Issaries' plan.

>How about the shared myth? I do think this is the area I think Glorantha will
>survive the longest. Having a small part of the world mapped out and disected
>in detail is a very satisfying experience. And G is a rich world, easy to
build
>on and expand since there is so much good stuff to plunder for
inspiration. One
>thing /I/'d like to see is more stuff about architecture, clothing, material
>artifacts and art. That and maps. There is a big lack of good maps. I hope
you
>have seen the French maps for HW? They are beautiful!

If only the french had provided them in time for the english version like they were supposed to. Not that I'm bitter.

>If someone could do a game (or 12!) about other cultures and lands I would be
>very happy indeed. How was KoDP built anyway? Some kind of interactive
>multimedia player was used, or am I misstaken? Maybe there are some free
tools
>like a MUD or a cheap licence using Quake, that could be used. Probably more
>computer games is the best way of getting people to see Glorantha, and then
>books of some kind the way to keep them in the deep...
>
>I wonder if Issaries can do this stuff or if it's better done by licence
out of
>house? Probably Issaries have a lack of both people and know-how. And I must

>confess that the quality of the published books have been so low that I
>sometimes have wondered if they are qualified to do their job! To publish
>something like the mysticism rules (which apparantly wasn't tested at all!)
>don't smack of professionalism... (not to speak of other weirdities)

It will have to be done out of house.

>The role of fanzines and the like:
>TotRM will be sorely missed! I am glad to hear that #19 is going to the
>printer, I've been waiting long for it. If it wasn't for TotRM, I probably
>wouldn't have gotten involved in the first place. A small and pretty
>inexpensive fanzine that you can grab or put in peoples hands is a pretty
good
>way to start reading and writing yourself. Hopefully Tradetalk can
continue to
>be as good as it has been. Where is #6?

http://www.wizards-attic.com/WAGlorantha.html

Cheers,