Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #21

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:52:23 -0700

Peter Metcalfe describes the impact of Pelorian culture on the Heortlings, especially the Elmali:

>A good way to view it might be the impact of Hellenism
>among the Etruscans, the Carthaginians, the Romans, the
>Jews (cf Book of Maccabes) and the Persians.

Mikko Rintasaari finds a similar RW analogy for the multiple gods problem:

>Multiple gods embodied by the same object (element, whatever) is inevitable
>where belief systems collide, or where the object (etc.) is considered
>highly important.An obvious RW example would be the number of basically
>solar dieties the Roman Empire acknowledged.

        The problem with these RW examples is that we don't have the option of convincingly contacting our gods and asking their take on the question. Certainly Elmal knows who the sun is, and his exact relationship to it. What does he say when the distraught Devotee, who just got his ass kicked by some Solar Hero, begs to know what the deal is?

        Still, Mr. Metcalfe has a point. Obviously, the Pelorians have a culture that is considerably richer in many ways that the Heortlings. This has got to be playing havoc all through Sartar. Not just the Elmal worshippers, but the split between the rural and urban followers of Lhankor Mhy, trouble in the Earth temples as western ideas flow in (not to mention Esrolian ideas) etc. Sartar after the Lunars is not the same as Sartar before. On the other hand, when a Lawspeaker and a Grey Sage are screaming at each other over the correct way to honor their god, what does the god say?

On another topic

Wesley Quadros says:

>>According to the Pelorians, Yelm was never killed. Rebellus Terminus slew
>>Murharzelm, the son of the Sun. Yelm had a kind of nervous breakdown as a
>>result and went to pieces, literally.

Peter Matcalfe replies:

>Yelm still went to Hell (even if it was in small pieces) and
>that is the same as being dead (even for heroquesters). So
>a Pelorian would agree that Yelm was killed and brought back
>to life.

        I just reread the relevant parts of "The Glorious ReAscent," and I'm not so sure about this. Murharzarm dies, killed by the rebels. Yelm disintegrates much like Murharzarm did but apparently without dying. Similarly, Yelm isn't healed or ressurrected by the rebels, he reconstitutes himself when the rebels submit to his perfect justice. In other words, Yelm falls apart, but he maintains a sort of "gravity of Justice" that pulls the world (and himself) back together again.Yelm returns from the land of the dead, and Biijif rules the dead, but I'm not sure either was exactly dead.

Peter Larsen