Re: clothing & climate

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:03:26 -0700

Donald Oddy

> >Since the women of Dragon Pass (if not all Heortling women) wear long
> >skirts, the sudden appearance of women with short skirts would
> >probably not visually convey that they were fighting women. The fact
> >that they are garbed as a warrior does.
>
>Maybe not to foreigners who would have to rely on other indications,
>like that large axe she's carrying, but a Heortling would certainly
>recognise both that she was a fighter and of which cult.

The players of King of Dragon Pass would certainly be considered foreigners.

>Trousers (including shorts) make their first appearance in the RW with
>horseriding basically because no man wants his balls flapping around
>between himself and a horse's spine, so he wears tight trousers to
>hold them out of the way. Everything else is status, fashion and social
>convention.

I'm glad to know those Eskimos are so fashion-conscious (since it's clearly not their horses).

Alex Ferguson

>So the climatic model for Sartar -- just spitting distance away from the
>balmy Manirian coast, and several hundred miles _south_ of the
>middle of the continent where the serial toga wearers all hang out --
>is now _Iceland_? Curiouser and curiouser. Previous guesses,
>such as central France, seemed much more on the money, for me.

I have to admit that I thought the endless succession of bitterly cold winters was a bit much. However, Dragon Pass is pretty much the highest point on the continent, and altitude does count for something. You'd also have to look at the wind patterns (do they get that arctic air sweeping in from Canada, like central USA? I can't remember this for Sartar).

Bottom line was really Greg saying that Vikings were the model for Quivini dress. Add justification to taste.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #27