Gods, Truth & Chaos

From: Henrix <henrix_at_pp.sbbs.se>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 02:51:52 +0200

Andrew Larsen:
> I agree that Gloranthans have different ways of looking at the same
>thing, but ultimately, only one thing can have happened in any given event,
>such as the slaying of the Sun. Did the Sun die or did only a part of the
>Sun die? Both cannot be true in an objective sense, regardless of whether
>worshippers of that Sun are capable of objectivity.

Is the glass empty, or is there still some moisture in it?

Obviously two _descriptions_ of an event can be true, even if they seem to differ. Why, for instance, are you assuming that the "death" of the Sun is an event absolutely parallell to the death of a human. Just because the same word is used to describe the event does not mean that the event is exactly the same. Neither need be true, or false.

(What do you mean, objective sense? Facts are facts. *LOL*)

> Let's see. We have Thed, the goddess of rape; Malia, the goddess of
- ---- etc, etc -----
>by what measure are these not evil and destructive forces?

Let's see. We have Stalin, the starver of Ukraine, Hitler, exterminator of multitudes and Pol Pot, of unmentionable terrors, by what measure are these not evil and destructive forces?
I suppose the best thing would be to eradicate all humanity ;-)

Just because Orlanthi only tells us of the bad things about chaos does not mean that all chaos is bad. And, let us face it, almost all stories we know are from an Orlanthi perspective. Presumably there are stories of good chaos among, say, the Lunars. But we have not heard them, yet.

I am not even certain that all cultures in Glorantha think that the distinction between chaos and not-chaos is a meaningful one. Westerners seem to be more interested in Monsters (including trolls) and not-Monsters.