Re: Yelm, Apollo, etc.; paper

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:57:29 -0700

Thomas McVey replied

> > (A couple of
> > quotes from <http://www.thanasis.com/helios.htm>: "Helios is the
> > young Greek god of the sun, often confused with Apollo."
>
>Well, strictly speaking Helios was the Titan of the Sun, the son of
>Hyperion and
>Theia,
>according to http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/12905.html
>Phoebus ("bright, pure") Apollo and he got kinda scrunched together
>after the 5th
>Cent BC.

The source I used had Helios and Zeus interacting, so I infer that Helios was not a Titan.

Ian Cooper

>In other words if powerful enough individuals or whole groups
>heroquest could we make
>Firshala 'the sun'. I suspect so.

I suspect not -- just because many things in Glorantha are ambiguous or simultaneously true doesn't mean everything can be true. Orlanth is not the sun. Waha is not the sun.

On the other hand, it may be possible to prove that Firshala (a fire spirit or godling imprisoned near Griffin Mountain, for those of you not familiar with her) is a lost piece of the sun, or something.

Mikko Rintasaari

>One of the three grades (and products) of
>mostali food is processed foreststuff (elves, trees, grasses). Paper can
>very well be a side benefit, easily added into the food processing
>plants (which I suspect tend to take up a huge portion of a dwarven
>settlement)

Maybe paper is intended to be food? Sort of like potato chips (crisps) or tortillas or the wrappers for spring rolls. Too bad mostali don't interact enough with humans that they often snack on important scrolls...

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein