Numeracy

From: robert darvall <Robert.Darvall_at_general.monash.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:54:35 +1100

The writing debate stirs my synapse again. There is a folk tale from Britain (what bit I can't remember) which is about counting sheep. The tale is 'Yan, Tan, Tethra" that being 1,2,3 in the sheep counting numbers. If the sheep are not counted correctly the various bogles will take those missed. The point being that at one time in the RW counting was considered magical. This suggests to me that both numeracy & literacy should be intensly magical skills in G. Far more than RQ demonstrated (HW remains a closed book thus far).