Re: Stuff, mostly letters

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:10:06 +0100 (BST)

Peter Larsen:
> > (Western as IPA?)

> I was asssuming Western was lettered. I keep reading that last
> staement as "Western as India Pale Ale." Do they make Pale Ale in the West?
> Are they famous for it?

I think of them as being more of your lager or weisbier drinkers myself. But that may be my anti-Malkioni bias showing.

> My thoughts exactly, although I'm not sure most Orlanthi would find
> it wicked, just pointless. "Why do you bother with that scratchin' boy?
> Cows, cows are what's important in a man's life...."

Perhaps largely just pointless... But potentially Wicked in a couple of respects: firstly, Meldekophobes will distrust it if it originates in the West; and secondly, there may be a tradition of not writing some things down (like myths), which this would provide the technology to break. Though this is a somewhat circular argument, as a prohibition against writing down myths would supposes that it's possible enough to be worth forbidding, as it were.

Slàn,
Alex.