Arianism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 12:32:40 +1300

Andrew Barton:

> > The two interpretations equate to two different religions.

>I was rsponding to a claim (don't now have the original) that doctrinal
>differences in the real world produced differences in -behaviour-.

What I actually said was "In most RW cases [religious proposition] X in fact had far-reaching social implications." and stated my belief that such consequences should be developed in glorantha rather than stipulating that you could die for saying X in place Y, such that western PC types will not succumb to sophistry or cynicism.

In any event, the Arian controversy was not the biggest doctrinal split (most divergent would be a better description) and it involved a rejection of Greek philosophical methods in defining the nature of God (which probably enhanced its appeal to the laity and later on to the Goths). For a gloranthan analogy, "Arian" communities might have fewer wizards than other Malkioni communities as well as an aversion to philosophical speculation (leading to fewer sorcerers as well).