Dipthongs and Rainbows.

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 23:13:39 +0000

In message <200011081946.LAA00988_at_chaosium.com>, The Glorantha Digest <owner-glorantha-digest_at_chaosium.com> writes
>I was rsponding to a claim (don't now have the original) that doctrinal
>differences in the real world produced differences in -behaviour-. The
>biggest doctrinal split in Christianity was the 'schism over a diphthong',
>and the different beliefs did not produce any difference I'm aware of in
>how people acted, and precious little in their worship services.

Except that the schism was enough to complicate relationships between Western and Eastern Christianity from the moment of the break. Who got the patronage of the Emperor (when there was one) and later on whether it was all right for the Pope to send people to help those 'heretics' against the Islamic invaders.

That's a difference in behaviour, surely?

I was looking at a rather lovely rainbow over High Wycombe today and after listing to myself the myths I knew about it in the real world (Noah after the Flood, the Rainbow Bridge to Asgard) and realised I didn't know if there was an equivalent myth for Glorantha.

Since it is a phenomenon that is only seen when there is sunshine after rain, it is a good symbol for the pact between Orlanth and Yelm, something that only appears when the two gods work together, a sign that they will never allow their quarrel to endanger the Universe again.

I seem to recall there is some sort of minor rainbow god. But it's such a lovely symbol I wonder why it hasn't been used more. It's a sign of good luck in KoDP.... Hmm, this bit of the story needs some work. - --
Michael Cule