Atheism and sorcery

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:55:05 +1300

Julian Lord

>Me> Atheists do not know God as either Irensavel or Makan, but as
> > "the Prime Mover" or "the Creator".

>Certainly, but I don't think that this matters for the case in point :
>Atheists still belong to certain cultural areas, surely, and will
>therefore be affected by local religious ideas ?

I do believe this to be the case so long as these ideas don't challenge the central premise of their worldview (denial of the afterlife, denial in the meaningfulness of worshipping God etc).

>That is, they will
>see the Creator Principle either as immanent or as outside creation,
>which was the point that interested me : to which you replied
>with your opposition of Irensavel and Makan.

I didn't realize you were asking about Atheists then, but about Malkioni in general. While Atheists have their own ideals, the best statement for them is in AR:

         "Creation is the first action, which no being can ever
         know or understand fully.  The One Mind rose from the
         Prime Materia".
                         Anaxial's Roster p209.

In other words, they are essentially agnostic (haha) on this issue. FWIW one can unite one's consciousness with the One Mind and receive meaningful and correct answers but this was what the God Learners did. They also discovered that two people connected to the One Mind could give different answers and so developed the Truth Contests to discover which one was more correct. Hence the unification of Jrustela was marked (in part) by the Oracles of two or more cities being questioned by a formal assembly of wizards as to which part of their laws was more correct on a certain topic. So contacting it is unlikely to help.

So atheists could view their magic in either way you suggest or take an agnostic line on the whole topic.

>Essentially : Mainstream & heretic cults of Malkionism. Including
>the Brithini ?

The Brithini are hardly a monolithic culture (although they might all still be the epitome of dullsville). Even as far back as Cults of Terror, Arolanit is described as being a land of city-states and its current ruler was exiled at the same time Arkat was.