Re: Farming Heroes

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:50:18 +0100

Donald Oddy :

> I reckon you've just upset a lot of Orlanthi, they're free farmers not
> peasants.
> Peasants are tied to the land they farm and subject to their overlords.

Only according to the political propaganda of England and a few Protestant Colonies one could mention. In other places, peasants are free owners of the land, and the backbone of society (Ancient Rome being the best example of this : and the main character of Gladiator being the best hero of peasant origin in recent memory). In still other places, farmers are those who have obtained (usually purchased) some sort of right from the overlord (not necessarily land) (hence the English verb 'to farm out'), and are in other words agents of their overlords, and therefore quite subject to them. (Although quite free within the terms of their 'commission', as deriving authority from the overlord and as 'under-lords' over their land/whatnot from their status as 'farmers'. See corrupt Tax Farmers during Louis XV of France's reign frinstance, to tie the two threads into a bow.)

No : Orlanthi are NOT free farmers IMO, but peasants. You have upset them indeed by suggesting that their job description is an insult ...

Julian Lord