Re: Orlanthi & The Lunars

From: Thomas McVey <tmcvey_at_sric.sri.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 15:41:36 -0800

> Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:52:29 +0200
> From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
> Subject: Orlanthi vs. the Lunars
>
> Michael asked:
> :The question is quite simple. Arrange equal (large) numbers of Lunar
> :regulars and Fyrd/weaponthanes in a (reasonably) open field, for a set
> :piece battle. Who do you expect to win? Why?
>
> I don't think the Lunars are capable of fielding enough professional
> soldiers to have numerical 1:1 against the orlanthi. A third of an
> Orlanthi clan will fight in the fyrd, even more, when they are defending
> their tula.

Depending on what season of the year it is. Using KoDP as a guide, Heortling military strength is severly weakened during Sea and Earth season. Even if they fight then, they'll risk the harvest, and injuries/deaths will wreck their (close to subsistence) economy.

Wheras the Lunars, with a professional army, can fight year-round. So, during Fire & Storm Season, they'd sit in their forts and defend, and then exact retribution when the Heortlings are at their weakest.

That why, IMHO, it's not the magical aid that the Kralori provide that makes the difference in the Hero Wars. It's as an alternate source of food (rice). Why else did Argrath start with liberating Corflu and Pavis?

> In Sartar the Lunars have to keep their formations against sudden
> stormwind and hale, flying and lightning chucking orlanthi weaponthanes
> and even warchariots.

> I wouldn't bet on them if it wouldn't be for the
> college of magic.

And they just happen to have sorcerors with "Slow wind" in their grimoire, heh heh.

> :My answers are: The Lunars. Because they have far superior unit training
> :and discipline.
>
> Discipline (greek style) is just one way to win. The orlanthi passion and
> fierceness makes them daunting opponenets.

Didn't work for the Gauls or Germans facing the Romans. Sorry.

Tom