"You can always leave if you don't like it"

From: MOB <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:42:39 +1100

G'day all,

"You can always leave if you don't like it"

Gareth Martin:

>The problem with the argument "you can always leave if you don't like
>it" is that it appeals to an ideal situation which does not exist.
>Especially in low-tech societies, which run pretty close to subsitance,
>survival is about tools: for making fire, for making houses, for making
>war. Authority is functionally exercised by restrictions on access to
>these tools, such as the restrictions placed on who can own and carry
>weapons - usually class-based. To say "you can always leave" is merely
>to place the burden of freedom an those who are un-free: you imply that
>they voluntarily collude with their own repression, when in actual fact
>their freedoms are so limited that striking out on their own is not a
>practical proposition.

Such issues are eloquently explored in Mike Dawson's excellent MGF-style scenario, "Embarassment of Riches", wherein oppressed Jonatelan peasants discover a huge treasure trove. This does offer them the chance of striking out on their own, but they must weigh up the risks and consequences of doing so in a land where a serf caught possessing gold is punishable by amputation. You might have heard of greener pastures elsewhere, but how do you find them when,

  1. you've never been more than 10 key-miles from your front door, and;
  2. the smallest change you've got is the equivalent of a thousand-dollar note.

I have enjoyed running this scenario at various cons, and think it would make an excellent low level HW adventure.

Cheers,

MOB