Sylila and Jillaro

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:20:55 +1300

Theo Posselt:

>Hmm, Jillaro does sound appropriate. Does anyone know
>more about Sylila, in terms of the mixture of peoples?

Basically a Lunarized Orlanthi region.

>Based on this, I’d like to run the following basic
>outline of Jillaro by you all:
>* Jillaro has about 40k inhabitants.

It's described as large in the Genertela Book which means that it has a population of 6 000 - 25 000 people. 40k would be the total urban population of Sylila.

>* The ethnic breakdown of Jillaro is as follows: 50%
>Heortling, 20% Darjiini, 15% Dara Happan, 15% ‘Lunar
>Other’ (or mixed-ethnicity)

Replace Heortling with Alakoring.

>In Rome the
>patrons received, among other things, votes.
>Obviously this doesn’t hold in LE; so what sort of
>benefits do the patrons receive? Your Mafia analogy
>suggests mostly direct, economic benefits ­ cuts of
>the profits, etc. Am I reading this correctly?

That's correct, although the Patron is obliged (IMO - just like in the Roman model) to help out with a client's personal problems from time to time.

> > Pelandans are your Greek analogs.

>In the sense of social organization, mostly, I assume.

Kind of. More in a sense of artistic production.

>As an aside, is this also true militarily?

Yup. They invented the Phalanxes.

> > If the family is running the city, then they would
> > be militarized. If they are not, then the families
> > running the city will not permit them to be
> > militarized (to the extent of participating in Dart
> > Warfare)

>Is this true throughout the empire ­ that there’s a
>fairly complete monopolization of force by those at
>the top?

Ideally the monopolization of force by the bigwigs is complete. In practice this is far from being the case. Which is why I wrote "permit" rather than "allow".

>* Logicians (btw, where can I find more about these?)

They are mentioned in the Glorantha Intro p114. Fuller information is given in the Entekosiad:

         "During the Primeval Wars the lord YarGan gave
         refuge to all the Logicians who sought it.  They
         lived in cities, and anyone who believed in them
         came too.  Because of this the land was called the
         Kingdom of Logic, and the people there could perform
         very evil magic.  They could make things change shape
         so they could not return to their original figure, or
         become stupider, or darker, or more warm.  Since they
         had no morals except their own personal codes, and
         since most of them could be allied through flattery
         and rich presents, they were loved by the king.
                         Entekosiad p53.

Shapechanging magic (like turning people into frogs) seems called for as well as intellectual tapping. I'm not too sure what is meant by "darker, or more warm". My guess is that "darker" refers to either the diminishment of the Fire portion (one's spirit) or the enhancement of the Shadow portion (one's dark side - i.e. fear, insecurity, Oedipal complexes). Either Tap Spirit and/or Evil Freudian Mind Games ("Tell me about your mother") seem appropriate. I'm less sure about "more warm" which seemingly refers to the enhancement of Heat portion (that part of you which is life) would be considered a cause. Perhaps it's causing people to burn themselves out?